kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Łódź is the third-largest city in Poland, with 776 000 inhabitants. It is in the Łódź Voivodeship in the centre of the country. In Polish the name also means "boat". The mayor of Łódź is Hanna Zdanowska.
Where is Łódź?
The city is about 120 km south-west of Warsaw. In and around the city, there are some textile and electronics industries. Because of prolonged economic difficulties, there has been a decline in the population of the city. The city has a university and a film academy.
A short history of Łódź
The first documents mentioning the city date from 1332. Łódź was awarded city rights (according to the Magdeburg law) in 1432. The Congress of Vienna decided in 1815 that the city should be part of Russia. Only in 1918 did the city fall back to Poland.
Sports in Łódź
- Grażyna Bacewicz, composer
- Max Factor, Sr., businessman, founder of the Max Factor cosmetics company
- Piotr Fronczewski, Polish actor
- Marcin Gortat, NBA basketball player for the Phoenix Suns
- Roman Polanski, cinema director, Oscar and Golden Palm winner
- Władysław Reymont, writer, Nobel Prize winner
- Paweł Rogaliński, journalist
- Artur Rubinstein, pianist, settled
- Julian Tuwim, poet
- Miś Uszatek, cartoon character
- Marek Saganowski, football player
- Adam Ostrowski, better known as O.S.T.R., rapper