kidzsearch.com > wiki
2020 Russian constitutional referendum
A referendum to reform the Constitution of Russia was held from 25 June to 1 July 2020. President Vladimir Putin proposed the referendum during his address to the Federal Assembly on 15 January 2020.
The amendments include sweeping changes to the constitution, including allowing Putin to run again for two more six-year presidential terms.
Originally scheduled for 22 April, the vote was postponed to a later date due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Russia. It had been noted that the initial vote date coincided with the 150th anniversary of Vladimir Lenin's birth.
According to official results, 79% of voters supported the changes to the constitution. There have been allegations and reports of irregularities.
- Kolomychenko, Maria (12 June 2020). "‘Look after yourself — vote electronically!’ Moscow’s civil servants report being forced to register for online voting ahead of Russia’s constitutional plebiscite". Meduza. https://meduza.io/en/feature/2020/06/12/look-after-yourself-vote-electronically.
- Korsunskaya, Darya; Tétrault-Farber, Gabrielle (1 June 2020). "Russia to vote on July 1 on reforms that could extend Putin's rule". Reuters. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-putin-vote/russia-to-vote-on-july-1-on-constitutional-changes-that-could-extend-putins-rule-idUSKBN2382Q6.
- "Путин предложил провести "всенародное голосование" по пакету поправок в Конституцию" (in ru). 15 January 2020. https://www.interfax.ru/russia/691265.
- "Путин объявил о переносе голосования по Конституции" (in ru). 25 March 2020. https://www.mk.ru/politics/2020/03/25/putin-obyavil-o-perenose-golosovaniya-po-konstitucii.html.
- "Politics and pandemics". The Economist. 13 March 2020. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/03/13/politics-and-pandemics.
- Arnholz, Jack (27 February 2020). "Russia announces date for referendum that could extend Putin's rule". ABC News. https://abcnews.go.com/International/russia-announces-date-referendum-extend-putins-rule/story?id=69257041. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "Russia: Statement by the Spokesperson on the nationwide voting on constitutional amendments" (in en). 2 June 2020. https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage/81978/russia-statement-spokesperson-nationwide-voting-constitutional-amendments_en.