kidzsearch.com > wiki
An acronym is a word whose letters are the first letters of other words. People often create a short acronym that means the same thing as a much longer phrase (set of words). This is faster and shorter to say then the long phrase.
Examples of acronyms are:
- COBOL - COmmon Business Oriented Language
- LASER - Light Amplification through Stimulated Emmission of Radiation
- POSH - Port out starboard home
- QUANGO - Quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation
- RADAR - RAdio Detecting And Ranging
- SARS - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
- SCUBA - Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus
- SNAFU - Situation Normal: All Fouled Up
An acronym usually must be able to be spoken as word. Other abbreviations such as ASAP (as soon as possible), USA (the United States of America), ECU (European Currency Unit), FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation), NBA (National Basketball Association) have combinations of letters that are not pronounced as a single word. People just say the letters, one after another.
The word "acronym" comes from the Greek acro ‘extreme’ and onymus ‘name’.
The world's longest acronym, according to the Guinness Book of World Records is NIIOMTPLABOPARMBETZHELBETRABSBOMONIMONKONOTDTEKHSTROMONT (Russian: Нииомтплабопармбетжелбетрабсбомонимонконотдтехстромонт). It is 56 letters long (54 in Cyrillic). It is from the Concise Dictionary of Soviet Terminology and means "the Laboratory for Shuttering, Reinforcement, Concrete and Ferroconcrete Operations for Composite-monolithic and Monolithic Constructions of the Department of Technology of Building Assembly Operations of the Scientific Research Institute of the Organization for Building Mechanization and Technical Aid of the Academy of Building and Architecture of the USSR."
- "Asap definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary" (in en-US). https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/asap.
- "USA definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary" (in en-US). https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/usa.
- "ECU definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary" (in en-US). https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/ecu.
- "FBI definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary" (in en-US). https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/fbi.
- "NBA definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary" (in en-US). https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/nba.
- "Merriam Webster Dictionary online". http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym.
- "THE WORLD'S LONGEST ABBREVIATION". http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/long273.html.
- Brandreth, Gyles (2019-08-13) (in en). Have You Eaten Grandma?: Or, the Life-Saving Importance of Correct Punctuation, Grammar, and Good English. Simon and Schuster. pp. 205. . https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F-uiDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA205&dq=world's+longest+acronym&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU1sOn19HqAhWGh1wKHRrLB3cQ6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q=world's%20longest%20acronym&f=false.