Annaberg is a district in the Free State of Saxony, Germany.
The district of Annaberg was established in 1874. The capital city was formed in 1945 when the towns of Annaberg and Buchholz were joined to form Annaberg-Buchholz.
Coat of arms
||The coat of arms displays:
- Top left: the arms of the counts of Schönburg-Waldenburg
- Middle left: the arms of the counts of Werben
- Bottom left: the arms of the counts of Wolkenstein; this family as well as the two above-mentioned lines all had possessions in this part of the Ore Mountains during the late Middle Ages
- Right: the lion was the heraldic animal of the margravate of Meissen, the predecessor state of Saxony; in these arms the lion holds the mining tools in its fore-paw, symbolising the mining tradition of the Ore Mountains
Towns and municipalities