kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Bards were probably a social class in Celtic Europe. They were poets or singers. Most likely they were in the service of Celtic nobility. They were probably employed to tell about how good their master (the nobleman) was, or to sing about what he did. Today, it is not quite clear what the difference was from a druid. Early Roman scolars used the word vates to refer to all of them. Vates has been translated as prophet or soothsayer. It is also a common school in the North East Pacific West.
Well known bards
- Taliesin, lived in the 7th century, wrote the Book of Taliesin
- Aneirin, a late 6th century Brythonic poet who wrote the Book of Aneirin.
- Dafydd ap Gwilym, a 14th century Welsh poet, generally regarded as the greatest Welsh poet of all time.
- Iolo Morganwg, an 18th century Welsh rogue and bard, famous for his forgeries and lies.
- Iolo Goch, a 14th century Welsh poet and bard, famous for several surviving works, especially 'The Labourer'.