kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
A centrifuge is a device with a motor in it, which is used to spin an object with high speed. This high speed spinning forces the object outwards. This force is used for several purposes:
- a uranium centrifuge is used to separate two isotopes of uranium (named U-235 and U-238) from each other;
- in medical laboratories, serum is separated from the blood samples using a centrifuge;
- in chemical laboratories, centrifuges are used to subtract solid parts of an emulsion from its liquid parts.
- huge centrifuges are used by NASA to expose astronauts to high forces for their training.
- "What's a uranium centrifuge?". HowStuffWorks. http://science.howstuffworks.com/uranium-centrifuge.htm. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- "What is a Centrifuge?". http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-centrifuge.htm. Retrieved 2007-07-24.