kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Size comparison against an average human|
| Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni|
|Global range of M. hamiltoni|
The Colossal Squid is bigger than a giant squid. Its body is reddish brown and it lives up to 2000m below the surface of the Southern Ocean. It is the main food eaten by sperm whales. The Colossal Squid has ammonium chloride in its body, so it tastes bad for humans.
The Colossal Squid is thought to have a slow metabolic rate, requiring only around 30 g of prey daily. Estimates of its energetic demands suggest that it is a slow-moving ambush predator, using its large eyes primarily for predator detection rather than active hunting.
The eye is 27 cm (10.63 in) wide, with a lens 12 cm across. This is the largest eye of any known animal. These measurements are of the partly collapsed specimen: when living the eye was probably 30 to 40 cm (12 to 16 in) across.
- Rosa R. & B.A. Seibel 2010. Slow pace of life of the Antarctic colossal squid. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, published online 20 April 2010. Cambridge Journals Online - Abstract
- Bourton, J. 2010. Monster colossal squid is slow not fearsome predator. BBC Earth News 7 May 2010.
- World's biggest squid reveals 'beach ball' eyes AFP, via Google.
- Te Papa's Blog entry. 5 September 2008
- Tepapa.govt.nz Archived 30 January 2012 at WebCite
|Wikispecies has information on: Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni.|