kidzsearch.com > wiki
Glass is a hard material that can be made in many shapes. It is usually transparent, but it can also be made in colours. Glass is made of sand that is heated until it is liquid. When it is liquid, it is shaped and left to cool.
The myth that glass is actually a liquid comes from the fact that old windows in houses and churches (200–300 years old) are sometimes a little out of shape: thicker at the bottom than the top. This is actually due to the process of glass making in the past which led to the glass pane being thicker at one edge than the other. It was sensible to install the windows with the thick edge at the bottom. Sometimes a window can be found with the thick edge at the top of the window.
Glass can be recycled over and over. Glass bottles and jars can easily be recycled to make new glass bottles and jars or used in industry as aggregate (building material) or sand.
- Corning Museum of Glass
- A comprehensive guide to art glass and crystal around the world
- Working Description Furnace & Moleria - Murano Glass
- Informative website about the glass industry
- Substances used in the Making of Colored Glass
- Almost 400 articles and images about glass (mostly art glass)