kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
In Phrygia (modern Turkey), there was a legendary prophesy about a unique knot which could only be loosened by the man who would rule all of Asia. It was called the "Gordian" knot because it was preserved in Gordium. It supposed to have been created by a man named Gordius.
In another version of the story, Alexander took away the wooden part which was at the center of the knot; and in this way, the knot was undone.
Today the phrase implies "make it happen" or "get things done".
"Cutting the Gordian knot" has come to mean resolving a difficult problem with one forceful action.
It may mean a problem that has no solution.
- Johnson's (revised) Universal Cyclopaedia: A Scientific and Popular Treasury of Useful Knowledge.. A.J. Johnson & Company. 1890. p. 542. https://books.google.com/?id=BJQmAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA542.
- Grote, George (1857). History of Greece. John Murray. pp. 140-141. https://books.google.com/?id=WMIOAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA140.
- Zimmern, Alice (1908). Greek History for Young Readers. Longmans, Green, and Company. p. 397. https://books.google.com/?id=oCkZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA351.
- Kirkman, Marshall Monroe (1913). History of Alexander the Great: His Personality and Deeds. Cropley Phillips Company. pp. 155-156. https://books.google.com/?id=vatJAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA153.
- Kurke, Lance B. (2004). The Wisdom of Alexander the Great: Enduring Leadership Lessons from the Man Who Created an Empire. American Management Association. p. 123. . https://books.google.com/?id=WuYJzBI3upQC&pg=PA123.
- Snicket, Lemony (2000). A Series of Unfortunate Events #3: The Wide Window. Harper Collins. p. 200. . https://books.google.com/?id=N-pXlOoiHu8C&pg=PA200.
- Parkin, Margaret (2001). Tales for Coaching: Using Stories and Metaphors with Individuals & Small Groups. Kogan Page Publishers. p. 97. . https://books.google.com/?id=G4P6AZhm3toC&pg=PA97.
- Daly, Kathleen N.; Rengel, Marian (2004). Greek and Roman Mythology A to Z. Infobase Publishing. p. 55. . https://books.google.com/?id=eJxB0UTOcXMC&pg=PA55.
- Mathematical Association of America (MMA), Untying the Gordian Knot; retrieved 2012-5-31.