kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Katarina Witt (born 3 December 1965) is a retired German figure skater. She won gold medals at the 1984 and 1988 Winter Olympics and competed in the 1994 Winter Olympics. She also won four World Championships and six European Championships. In 1995, Witt became a member of the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame.
Witt was born in East Germany and began skating at the age of five. She went to a special school for athletic children, where she met her coach, Jutta Muller. Witt won the European Championships for the first time in 1983. She won the gold medal in the 1984 Winter Olympics, and also won the World Championships later that year. At the 1988 Winter Olympics, Witt and her rival, Debi Thomas, both performed to Bizet's music from the opera Carmen. Their competition for first place was called the "Battle of the Carmens." Witt won gold, and her artistic performance became famous. Witt competed in the 1994 Winter Olympics and finished seventh. Afterwards, she retired from competition.
- "Katarina Witt - Figure Skating". 15 February 2019. https://www.olympic.org/news/razor-sharp-witt-sees-hard-work-pay-off-on-the-rink.
- "Katarina WITT - Olympic Figure skating - Germany". 18 December 2018. https://www.olympic.org/katarina-witt.
- "Figure Skating - Witt and charm prevail on the ice". 4 November 2016. https://www.olympic.org/news/figure-skating-witt-and-charm-prevail-on-the-ice.
- Katarina Witt at the International Olympic Committee
- Lua error in Module:Sports_reference at line 41: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).