kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Encyclopedia:Basic English combined wordlist
This is the maximum Basic English combined wordlist. It is what the advanced student will know when moving from Basic English to the standard English language. So any student who knows all of these words has gone far beyond Basic English.
It actually contains well over 2,600 words and combines five separate word lists:
- 50 international nouns.
- 12 names of sciences.
- 12 title and organizational names.
- 50 general utility names.
- 5 onomatopoeic (sounds like) words.
- 50 words about time and numbers.
- 1293 words used as an addendum.
- 215 compound words (made up of Basic English words).
- 91 new words made from adding the allowed endings: -er, -ed, -ing, -ly, -s, and the prefix un-.
Total: 2626 words. Commonly misspelled words - includes documented list of misspellings
- glossary - a list of words defined at the end of a document, as used there
- "Basic English Combined Word Lists". http://ogden.basic-english.org/word2000.html.
- "Ogden's Basic English Word List". http://ogden.basic-english.org/wordalph.html.
- "Basic English Supplementary Word Lists". http://ogden.basic-english.org/intlword.html.
- "The Next Steps". http://ogden.basic-english.org/wordalpn.html.
- "Ogden's Basic English Compound Words". http://ogden.basic-english.org/wordacom.html.