Limburg-Weilburg is a Landkreis (rural district) in the west of Hesse, Germany.
1867 the Oberlahnkreis with the capital Weilburg was created. In 1886 Limburg an der Lahn district was set up, with the capital Limburg. In 1974 both districts were joined together.
The district is located between the two mountain areas Westerwald and Taunus. The main river is the Lahn.
Coat of arms
||The coat of arms consists of the main symbols of the two precursor districts. The cross from the district Limburg, symbolizing both Saint George the patron of the cathedral in Limburg, as well as the bishops of Trier who acquired the Limburg area in the 14th century. The chequered bar inside the cross derives from the Counts of Limburg of the 15th century.
The lion in the inescutcheon, which was one of the symbols in the coat of arms of the Oberlahn district, is the lion of Nassau, as the area belonged to the Duchy of Nassau.
Towns and municipalities