kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Lyda Ann Thomas
Lyda Ann Thomas (1936/1937 – April 19, 2017) was an American politician. She served as the mayor of Galveston, Texas from 2004 to 2010. She was first elected in 2004 to replace Roger "Bo" Quiroga. Thomas was the third female mayor of Galveston. She serve three terms as mayor, and stepped down in 2010 after reaching her a city-imposed term-limit. She was a member of the Democratic Party.
Thomas is known for being mayor of Galveston during Hurricane Ike on September 10, 2008 and ordered in a full evacuation.
- Torgovnick, Kate (2008-08-13). "The Cities Where Women Rule". Time Magazine. http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1832490,00.html. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Meyers, Rhiannon. "Jaworski replaces a tearful Thomas as mayor". Galveston Daily News. http://galvestondailynews.com/story/156595/. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- Cochran, Amanda (19 April 2017). "Former Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas dies at 80". https://www.click2houston.com/news/former-galveston-mayor-lyda-ann-thomas-dies-at-80.
- The City Council of Galveston, Texas
- Evacuation worked, but created a highway horror O'Driscoll, Patrick; Richard Wolf and Rick Hampson (9/26/2005 7:47 PM). USA Today
- With Rita strengthening, Galveston orders evacuation
- Gulf Coast residents watch surprise tropical storm
- Ike's changing course delayed Galveston's evacuation call, city says