kidzsearch.com > wiki
A MacBook Pro is a type of laptop computer made by Apple Inc. It replaced the PowerBook G4 and was the second Intel model to be released. It runs macOS and comes with a built in webcam and microphone and a power adapter that is attached by magnets. MacBook Pros are housed in aluminum metal and are currently available in 13" and 16" models.
The MacBook Pro was first introduced on January 2006 at the Macworld Expo.
The first MacBook Pro was the 15" model, but a 17" model was released later that year. New models were released in late 2006, late 2007, early 2008, late 2008, and early 2009. In June 2009, a 13" model was added and the other sizes were also updated. The next updates happened in April 2010 and February 2011. Another update was released in June 2012, in which a new 15" model was introduced with a much higher display resolution (dubbed the Retina Display, meaning that it can display more pixels, creating a smoother image). However, Apple stopped making the 17" model, but Apple released 16" model in 2019.
The new MacBook Pro has several features:
- Aluminum unibody
The aluminum unibody case makes the MacBook Pro lighter, polished, and stronger. On the left side of the computer, there is a button next to many indicator lights. This button will turn on the lights. They say how much battery power the computer has left. More lights on means more battery.
A built-in battery gives around 10 to 20 hours of power to all models of the computer. This battery can be recharged up to 1,000 times, whereas typical notebooks can only be recharged 200 to 300 times.
- Glass trackpad
The trackpad is the part of the laptop that is touch-sensitive. It allows the use to move the cursor on the screen by using their finger. The entire trackpad is also the trackpad button, adding more space to the trackpad. Right-click can be done with two fingers or using a right-click area. Some gestures (involving 2 or more fingers at once) are:
- Use two fingers to scroll up and down a page.
- Pinching with two fingers to zoom in and out.
- Rotate an image by turning two fingers.
- Swipe with four fingers to show your desktop, view all open windows or switch applications.
The CPUs in the computers are either quad-core, hexa-core or octa-core Intel core i5, i7 or i9 chips, or an Apple M1. An SD card slot in the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros can be used to import photos from a camera or camcorder.
The GPU is part of the CPU and is called Intel HD Graphics 4000. The 15" model also has a separate nVidia GeForce GT 650M graphics card, which does the same thing as the Intel HD 4000, but faster and smoother. If the user feels like it, they can switch between the two.
There is nothing in this summary about what PORTS are included, what level of USB is supported, etc. This is as basic or more basic than what's on this page.
Features to reduce environmental impact
The MacBook Pros have the following environmentally-friendly features:
- They have arsenic-free display glass
- They are BFR-free
- They have a mercury-free LED-backlit display glass
- They have PVC-free internal cables
- Their enclosure is made from highly recyclable aluminum and glass
- Their packaging has been reduced
- They meet Energy Star 5.0 requirements
- They are rated EPEAT Gold
- "MacBook Pro with Retina display - Features - Apple". apple.com. https://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "MacBook Pro - Apple". apple.com. https://www.apple.com/macbookpro/. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "MacBook Pro - The world’s greenest lineup of notebooks. - Apple". apple.com. https://www.apple.com/macbookpro/environment.html. Retrieved 20 November 2015.