kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
The major events of this era are:
- the breakup of the Columbia supercontinent ~1,500 mya;
- the assembly of the Rodinia supercontinent ~1,100 mya;
- the evolution of sexual reproduction.
Evidence of a eukaryotic red algae, Bangiomorpha pubescens, has been identified from ~1200 mya old rocks in the Hunting Formation (Somerset Island, Canada). This is the oldest known sexually reproducing organism and therefore the earliest known complex multicellular organism.
- Butterfield N.J. 2000. Bangiomorpha pubescens n. gen., n. sp.: implications for the evolution of sex, multicellularity, and the Mesoproterozoic/Neoproterozoic radiation of eukaryotes. Paleobiology 26, 386–404. 
- REDIRECT Template:Geological history of Earth