kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Municipalities in Japan
There are three main types of municipalities in Japan:
- the national government of Japan
- the mid-level Prefectures of Japan
- the local municipality governments
After 1898, local officials were elected in municipal elections.
Since the 19th century, Japan has been divided into 47 prefectures; and each prefecture has many districts and municipalities.
In 1947, the "Local Autonomy Law" (LAL) further refined Japan's municipalities.
|Administrative divisions of Japan|
- Shikuchōson is a term which was made up in the Meiji period. In this invented word, each kanji represents one of the four types of municipalities.
- Jacobs, A.J. "Japan's Evolving Nested Municipal Hierarchy: The Race for Local Power in the 2000s," Urban Studies Research, Vol. 2011 (2011); doi:10.1155/2011/692764; retrieved 2012-3-23.