kidzsearch.com > wiki
National Weather Service
|National Weather Service|
|Formed||February 9, 1870|
|Preceding agency||United States Weather Bureau|
|Jurisdiction||United States federal government|
|Headquarters|| Silver Spring, Maryland|
|Annual budget||US$1,124,149,000 (FY 2016)|
|Agency executive||Louis Uccellini, Director|
|Parent agency||National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration|
|Child agency||National Centers for Environmental Prediction|
|Key document||16 Stat. 369|
The National Weather Service (also known as NWS) is one of the six scientific agencies that make up the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) of the United States government. Its job is to provide "weather, hydrologic, and climate forecasts and warnings for the United States, its territories, adjacent waters and ocean areas, for the protection of life and property and the enhancement of the national economy." This is done through a collection of national and regional centers, and more than 122 local weather forecast offices (WFOs). Since the NWS is a government agency, most of its products are in the public domain.
- "History of the National Weather Service". http://www.weather.gov/timeline.
- "Guide to Federal Records: Records of the Weather Bureau". National Archives and Records Administration. https://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/027.html. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "About NOAA's National Weather Service". http://www.weather.gov/about.
- "FY 2017 Budget Summary" (PDF). National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2016. p. 53. http://www.corporateservices.noaa.gov/nbo/fy17_bluebook/FY17_BB_Final_508.pdf#page=30.
- National Weather Service
- NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards
- Hydrometeorological Prediction Center Archived 2008-06-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Aviation Weather Center
- National Hurricane Center
- Storm Prediction Center
- Climate Prediction Center Archived 2009-05-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Free National Weather Service Yahoo! Widget Archived 2007-02-28 at the Wayback Machine
- NOAA weather streaming radio - using windows media player, etc. Archived 2007-10-24 at the Wayback Machine