kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Nellis Air Force Base
| Nellis Air Force Base|
Las Vegas Air Force Base (1948)
Las Vegas Army Airfield (1941)
McCarran Field (c. 1935)
|Part of Air Combat Command (1992)|
|Clark County, Nevada, in the Great Basin adjacent to North Las Vegas|
| Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, Nevada (14017031619).jpg|
|Type||Air Force Base|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
|Garrison||99th Air Base Wing|
Nellis Air Force Base (Nellis AFB) is a United States Air Force military base. It is located in the north part of Las Vegas, Nevada. It is home to the Thunderbirds. The base also trains fighter aircraft for the US Air Force. The base is named for William Harrell Nellis, a Las Vegas resident and P-47 pilot who died in action during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. Nellis AFB is home to the F-15, F-16, and the F-22 Raptors.
The main base covers close to 11,300 acres (46 km²). Much of the base is undeveloped. The rest of the area is either paved or has buildings. The Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Airstrip was a part of Nellis. It used to be known as "Area 3". On June 20, 2005 the field was renamed to Creech Air Force Base.
The base has three main areas.
- Area I include the airfield as well as the mission support functions.
- Area II contains the munitions area.
- Area III contains housing, and the Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- "Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada". The Military Standard - Air Force Bases. TechBastard.com. http://www.techbastard.com/afb/nv/nellis.php. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- (June 2010) Comprehensive Site Evaluation Phase II . Report. Retrieved on 2013-06-08.
- "Geographic Names Information System" (search page). USGS. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic. Retrieved 2013-06-06. : Nellis AFB "Airport" (2443876, 361408N 1150224W),
Nellis AFB CDP (2408911, 361448N 1150326W),
Nellis Air Force Base (2511960, 361457N 1145946W),
Nellis AFB Post Office (865017, 361432N 1150244W, 01-MAY-1992),
Community College of Southern Nevada Nellis Air Force Base Center (2087468)