Nordhausen is the northernmeost Landkreis (rural district) of Thuringia, Germany.
The district was created in 1815, when the Prussian province Saxony was created. There were many changes to the boundaries up to 1952, when some municipalities were brought into the district and others left.
Coat of arms
||The checkered red-silver part of the coat of arms is derived from the coat of arms of the County of Hohenstein, the historical territory the district belonged to. The tree trunk symbolizes the destruction of the city Nordhausen during World War II, with the new branch growing into the golden area symbolizing the reconstruction of the city and the bright future.
Towns and municipalities