kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Nun is a woman who made a special vow (or promise) dedicating herself to a religious life. She is said to "take the veil" as a symbol of her new life. Roman Catholic nuns are the most commonly thought of nuns, but nuns are found in different forms of Christianity as well as non-Christian religions such as Buddhism. A nun is the female version of a monk.
- Crown and Veil: Female Monasticism from the Fifth to the Fifteenth Centuries, eds. Jeffrey F Hamburger; Susan Marti; et al. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2008), p. 13
- Association of the Monasteries of Nuns of the Order of Preachers of the United States of America, Vocation in Black and White: Dominican Contemplative Nuns Tell How God Called Them (New York: iUniverse, 2008), p. 106
- Poor Clare nuns in Rockford, Illinois
- A Blog about Being a Catholic Nun in Today’s World
- A Biography of a Vajrayana Buddhist Nun
- Martin Luther's letter To Several Nuns, August 6, 1524. (Two reasons life at the convent and vows may be forsaken)