Map of Japanese provinces (1868
) with Owari Province highlighted
Owari Province (尾張国 Owari no Kuni) was an old province of Japan in the area of Aichi Prefecture on the island of Honshū. including much of modern Nagoya. It is also known as Bishū (尾州).
The ancient capital of Owari was near Inazawa
View of Owari Province, woodblock print by Hokusai
The province was created in 646.
In the Sengoku Period, Oda Nobunaga held Kiyosu Castle.
In the Edo period, the Tōkaidō road was the main route between the Imperial capital at Kyoto and the main city of the Tokugawa Shogunate. The road passed through Owari.
In the Meiji period, the provinces of Japan were converted into prefectures. The maps of Japan and Owari Province were reformed in the 1870s.
Owari and Mino provinces were separated by the Sakai River.
Shrines and Temples
Masumida jinja was the chief Shinto shrine (ichinomiya) of Owari.
Media related to Owari Province at Wikimedia Commons