kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Pre-Hispanic City and National Park of Palenque *|
|Criteria||i, ii, iii, iv|
|Region **||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Inscription||1987 (11th Session)|
Palenque (Bàak' in Modern Maya) is a Maya archeological site near the Usumacinta River in the Mexican state of Chiapas. It is a medium-sized site, much smaller than large sites like Tikal or Copán. It does, however, contain good examples of architecture, sculpture, roof comb and bas-relief carvings of the Maya time.
- Stuart, David (2005) The Inscriptions from Temple XIX at Palenque. Pre-Columbian Art Research Institute. ISBN 0-934051-10-0
- Maya Explorations Center.
- Unaahil B'aak: The Temples of Palenque (Wesleyan University) - Contains a learning objects program, panoramas, 3D models, and glyphs and translations.
- Mesoweb's Palenque resources
- The Tablet Of The 96 Hieroglyphs
- The Ruins of Palenque: bilingual essay with audio
- Drawings of the Palenque site from the Antonio del Rio 1784 expedition
- Estimating Palenque's population on Mesoweb (PDF)