kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Peter Skellern (14 March 1947 – 17 February 2017) was an English singer-songwriter and pianist. He was born in Bury, Lancashire. Skellern's first song to become a hit was "You're a Lady" in 1972. The record featured a choral group called the Congregation, who had already had a top ten hit with the song "Softly Whispering I Love You". and number 50 in the United States Billboard Hot 100.
Although he only had two more hit singles in the next six years, Peter Skellern had a successful musical career, recording many albums and writing music and songs for television and films. These included theme songs for TV series such as Billy Liar (1973), Me and My Girl (1984) and Flying Lady (1987). He later began a double act with another pianist and singer, Richard Stilgoe, and they toured the country and made three albums before Skellern retired from performing in 2001.
In October 2016, when it was known that he was going to die, he was ordained as a priest of the Church of England. He had been given special permission by the Archbishop of Canterbury because it was something he had always wanted to do. Skellern died on 17 February 2017 from a brain tumour, aged 69.
- Discogs.com - accessed April 2009
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 505. .
- "Allmusic ((( Peter Skellern > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p125778/charts-awards.
- "Archived copy". http://www.hrpl.u-net.com/stil_skell_profile.html.
- "Flying Lady : Family, Drama : TV Series (1987–1989)". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426346/. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Career". http://richardstilgoe.com/career.html. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- Peter Skellern dead: Pop singer who became priest and deacon on same day dies after brain cancer battle