kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
13, see text
They are placed in the true frog family (Ranidae) by many authors. Some think at least part of this group are a distinct family Petropedetidae. The Cacosterninae and Phrynobatrachinae are then separated as subfamilies. They may even be distinct families Cacosternidae and Phrynobatrachidae. Most members of this subfamily are in the genus Phrynobatrachus.
These frogs mostly live in sub-Saharan Africa.
This group of frogs is made up from the following genera:
- Anhydrophryne – Hogsback Frog (1 species)
- Arthroleptella – moss frogs (8 species)
- Arthroleptides – African torrent frogs (3 species)
- Cacosternum – cacos (10 species)
- Dimorphognathus (1 species)
- Ericabatrachus (1 species)
- Microbatrachella – Micro Frog (1 species)
- Natalobatrachus (1 species)
- Nothophryne (1 species)
- Petropedetes (7 species)
- Phrynobatrachus – dwarf puddle frogs or African puddle frogs (70+ species)
- Phrynodon (1 species)
- Poyntonia (1 species)
- Frost (2006)
- Frost, Darrel R. (2006): Amphibian Species of the World Version 3 - Petropedetidae Noble, 1931. American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA. Retrieved 2006-AUG-05.