kidzsearch.com > wiki
Population without double counting
Population sans doubles comptes is a phrase in French that means population without double counting in English.
In France, because of the census, the INSEE has allowed people who live in one place and study in a different place to be counted twice, so as to show how the population moves. Because of this, each commune in France has many numbers of how many people live in it. For example, students may be counted where they study and where they live but do not study (the place they were born in). It is just like allowing students in the United States to vote in the town election of the place they are studying in and the town election where they were born.
Types of population counts
- Population municipale: people that live in that place
- Population comptée à part: people are there for a while, but not forever (soldiers, prisoners)
- Population totale: population municipale + population comptée à part
- Doubles comptes: part of Population comptée à part, which are people working or studying (students, soldiers) there and are counted in another town's Population municipale
- Population sans doubles comptes: population totale - doubles comptes
Notes and references
- "POPULATION DE LA COMMUNE" (in French), Code géneral des collectives territorials, http://www.easydroit.fr/codes-et-lois/TITRE-V-POPULATION-DE-LA-COMMUNE-R-du-Code-general-des-collectivites-territoriales/S45094/, retrieved 2010-02-14
- (in French) Les définitions officielles sur le site de l'INSEE, http://www.recensement.insee.fr/FR/RUB_MOT/ACC_MOT.htm, retrieved 2010-02-15 The official meanings on the INSEE site
- (in French) Pour comprendre le recensement de la population, Insee Méthodes., May 2005, http://www.insee.fr/fr/ppp/sommaire/imeths01.htm Understanding the census.
- (in French) l'histoire du recensement, http://www.insee.fr/fr/ppp/sommaire/imeths01c.pdf The history of the census
- (in French) Glossaire, http://www.insee.fr/fr/ppp/sommaire/imeths01zzc.pdf Glossary.
- (in French) Les données du dernier recensement, http://www.recensement.insee.fr, retrieved 2010-02-15 The results of the 1999 census.
- (in French) Population en chiffres, http://www.ined.fr/fr/pop_chiffres/france_entiere Population, a page per view.
- (in French) Population des communes de France de plus de 2000 habitants, http://www.lexilogos.com/population_communes.htm Population of French communes of more than 2000 inhabitants.