Saale-Holzland-Kreis is a landkreis (rural district, or county) in the east of Thuringia, Germany.
The district was set up in 1994 by joining the old districts of Eisenberg, Jena and Stadtroda. When the district of Stadt rod) was first set up in 1922 it already covered nearly the area of the current district. In 1952 the East German government abolished the federal states (Bundesländer), and also split the district into the three parts, which were put together again in 1994.
Coat of arms
||In the left of the coat of arms is the silver bar as the symbol of the Lords of Lobdeburg, who owned of the valley of the Saale in the 13th century. In the bottom is the lion of the Counts of Orlamünde, surrounded by 6 hearts. Their county went into the ownership of the Wettin family in 1396. The coat of arms of Saxony in the right is the same as the coat of arms of the Wettin, as they later became the rulers of Saxony. The coat of arms were granted on August 18, 1997.
Towns and municipalities