kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Location of Salamanca in Spain
|Autonomous community||Castile and León|
|• Mayor||Alfonso Fernando Fernández Mañueco (Partido Popular)|
|• Total||38.6 km2 (14.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||802 m (2,631 ft)|
|• Total||metropolitan:213,399 city:154,462|
|• Density||4,034/km2 (10,450/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Salamanca is a city in central Spain. It is the capital city of the province with the same name. The city has a very important university started in 1218. It has two cathedrals and a famous Plaza Mayor (Main Square) built in the 18th century.
Frogs are a mascot of Salamanca. Souvenirs of frogs can be found in almost every shop in the Plaza Mayor.
The Battle of Salamanca was an important defeat for France in the Napoleonic Wars.
- Official Tourist Information Office
- Wiki of the city of Salamanca
- General information on Salamanca
- General information about events in Salamanca
- Salamanca travel guide
- Salamanca: Spain's answer to Oxford by The Guardian
- Salamanca city guide at HitchHikers Handbook