kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
The word score can have several meanings. Originally it meant: keeping count of something by making notches in a tally stick. This might be for keeping count of how much money they owed (e.g. how much tax or debt).
- A footballer who kicks the ball into the goal scores a goal.
- A person who helps to count the points during a game is “keeping score”.
- a score is the sheet music written for a group of players such as an orchestra.
- A score can mean a "soundtrack" in a movie.
- Score is an old word for the number 20. It is used in the famous expression from the Gettysburg Address: "Four score and seven years ago..." = (4*20+7)years = 87 years. And in the Bible: “three score years and ten” meaning: “seventy years old” (3*20+10) (Psalm 90). This was thought to be a normal life span.
- a score is an American 20 dollar bill (banknote).