kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Simony means that one pays for an office or a position in the hierarchy of Christian church. It is regarded as a crime in church. but it also extends to other forms of trafficking for money in "spiritual things".
Roman Catholic Church
In the Middle Ages there were endless problems with simony and accusations of simony, especially during the Investiture Controversy. Rulers wanted to employ the educated and centrally organized clergy in their administrations.
- The name comes from Simon Magus, who appears in the Acts of the Apostles 8:18-24. Simon Magus offers the disciples of Jesus, Peter and John, payment so that anyone he would place his hands on would receive the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the origin of the term simony(The Reader's Encyclopedia (1965), New York: Thomas Y. Crowell Company, vol.2, p.932, "Simon."
- Smith (1880)
- Halsbury 832)
- Lord Mackay of Clashfern (ed.) (2002) Halsbury's Laws of England, 4th ed. Vol.14, "Ecclesiastical Law", 832 'Penalties and disability on simony'
- — 1359 'Simony' (see also current updates)
- Smith, W. (1880). A Dictionary of Christian Antiquities: Being a Continuation of the 'Dictionary of the Bible'. J.B. Burr Pub. Co.. pp. "Simony".
- Weber, N. A. (1913) "Simony", Catholic Encyclopaedia