kidzsearch.com > wiki
Snorri Sturluson (1178 – September 23, 1241) was an Icelandic historian, poet and politician. He was three-time elected lawspeaker at the Icelandic parliament, the Althing. He was the author of the Prose Edda or Younger Edda and the Heimskringla, a history of the Norwegian kings that begins with legendary material and moves through to early medieval Scandinavian history.
- Bagge, Sverre (1991). Society and politics in Snorri Sturluson's Heimskringla. University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-06887-4.
- Snorri Sturluson, "Kringla leaf" (c. 1260), part of Heimskringla treasure 1 National Library of Iceland displayed via The European Library
- Monsen, Erling (1990), "Introduction to the Translation of Snorre's History of the Norse Kings", Heimskringla or the Lives of the Norse Kings: Edited with notes by Erling Monsen and translated into English with the assistance of A.H. Smith, Mineola, New York: Dover Publications, Inc., ISBN 0-486-26366-5. A reprint of the 1932 Cambridge edition by W. Heffer.
- Enoksen, Lars Magnar. (1998). Runor : historia, tydning, tolkning. Historiska Media, Falun. ISBN 91-88930-32-7
- The Old Norse/Icelandic spelling of the name is Snorri Sturluson. Snorre Sturlason is the modern Norwegian and Snorre Sturlasson the modern Swedish spelling. For the construction of the name one has to understand Icelandic naming conventions. English no longer features this type of name, except as a foreign word. Anglicization of Scandinavian names is not standard and varies a great deal. Encyclopedias and dictionaries nearly all list Snorri under his Icelandic name. Books and articles may use Snorre Sturleson, Snorri Sturlusson, Snorre Sturlson, Snorri Sturlson, Snorri Sturlusson, in addition to his Norwegian and Swedish names.
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- Faulkes, Anthony (1993). "The sources of Skáldskaparmál: Snorri's intellectual background" (pdf). Snorri Sturluson. Kolloquium anläßlich der 750. Wiederkehr seines Todestages. Narr. pp. pages 59-76. http://www.hi.is/~eybjorn/ugm/sources_of_skaldskaparmal.pdf.
- Works by Snorri Sturluson at Project Gutenberg
- Icelandic Medieval Manuscripts, site maintained by Unnur Valgeirsdóttir at the University of Iceland.
- Snorri Sturluson, article by Jónas Kristjánsson at snorrastofa.is.
- The Women in Snorri's Life.