kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
The Tate is the United Kingdom's national museum of British and Modern Art. It is a group of four art galleries in England: Tate Britain (opened in 1897 and renamed in 2000), Tate Liverpool (1988), Tate St Ives (1993) and Tate Modern (2000), with a website, Tate Online (1998). It is a administered as a quango (a non-departmental public body).
Tate is used as the name for the corporation which was started as The Board of Trustees of the Tate Gallery.
The gallery was started in 1897, as the National Gallery of British Art. When its role was changed to include Modern Art it was renamed the Tate Gallery after Henry Tate. The Tate Gallery was first started in a building at Millbank, London on the Embankment. In 2000, the Tate Gallery split its collection into four museums:
- Tate Britain (in the original building) displays the collection of British art from 1500 to the present day;
- Tate Modern, also in London, houses the Tate's collection of British and International Modern and Contemporary art from 1900 to the present day.
- Tate Liverpool, in Liverpool has the same purpose as Tate Modern but on a smaller scale, and
- Tate St Ives displays modern and contemporary art by artists who have a connection with the local area. All four museums share the Tate Collection.
One of the Tate's most publicised art events is the awarding of the annual Turner Prize, which takes place at Tate Britain.
Tate Online is the Tate's web site. Since its launch in 1998, the site has had information on all four Tate galleries (Tate Britain, Tate St Ives, Tate Liverpool and Tate Modern) in the same website. Tate Online helps visitors with get ready to visit the galleries, but is also a gallery as well. Other resources include information on all works in Tate's Collection of British and Modern International art, e-learning for all visitors, over 400 hours of webcasts, all articles from the magazine Tate Etc., and a series of Internet art works. BT has sponsored Tate Online since 2001.
How it's run
- Tate Online — 65,000 works from the Tate Collection online, information on Tate's exhibitions and events programmes, and online learning resources.
- TATE ETC. Magazine
- Turner Worldwide - an ongoing online cataloguing of JMW Turner's work around the world.
- Turner Collection Online The online catalogue of Tate's collection of nearly 300 oil paintings and 30,000 works on paper by JMW Turner.
- Tate Gallery Records Tate's own historical records.
- Tate Podcasts Audio and video podcasts from Tate.
- Tate in Space
- Turner Museum