kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
The story takes place on June 16, 1904, and is about a man named Leopold Bloom, who walks around Dublin. The book also tells the story of Molly Bloom, his wife, and of Stephen Dedalus, a school teacher.
The book became famous for several reasons, but mainly because it is written in a new style called stream of consciousness. The book is now thought to be an important book of modernist literature. Many professors and teachers teach this book in universities and colleges.
Joyce first encountered Odysseus in Charles Lamb's Adventures of Ulysses - an adaptation of the Odyssey for children, which seemed to establish the Roman name in Joyce's mind. At school he wrote an essay on Ulysses as his 'favourite hero'. Joyce told Frank Budgen that he considered Ulysses the only all-round character in literature. He thought about calling Dubliners by the name Ulysses in Dublin, but the idea grew from a story in Dubliners in 1906, to a 'short book' in 1907, to the vast novel which he began writing in 1914.
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- Ulysses at Project Gutenberg
- A brief satirical summary of Ulysses with illustrations
- A large website discussing Ulysses
- The text of Joseph Collins's 1922 New York Times review of Ulysses
- A hypertextual, self-referential, complete edition of Ulysses
- Daedalus and Odysseus: Two Mythic Heroes Influencing Fatherhood as Represented in James Joyce’s Ulysses
- Group audio recording of novel