Werra-Meißner is a Kreis (district) in the north of Hesse, Germany.
The district was created in 1974 by merging the two district Eschwege and Witzenhausen, which both existed with only slight modifications since 1821.
The main river in the district is the Werra. The Hohe Meißner with 754 m (2,474 ft) is the highest of the Meißner mountains. The river and the mountain gave the district its name.
The Hohe Meißner was also home to USA military forces up to the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Soldiers of the Special Forces guarded the eavesdropping listening post situated on the hilltop.
Coat of arms
||The coat of arms show a branch of an aspen tree in the left half, as sign for the former Eschwege district as well as the Eschwege city - the German word for aspen is Esche. The castle in the right half is the castle Ludwigstein, taken from the coat of arms of the Witzenhausen district. The hills below symbolize the landscape, the Meißner, and the wavy line the Werra river.
Towns and municipalities