kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1570s 1580s 1590s – 1600s – 1610s 1620s 1630s|
|Years:||1599 1600 1601 – 1602 – 1603 1604 1605|
- 3 January – Battle of Kinsale – the battle happened on 3 January 1602 according to the Gregorian Calendar used by the Irish and Spanish forces in the battle, although, for the English who were still using the old Julian Calendar, the date of the battle was 24 December 1601
- February 14 – William Shakespeare First performance of Twelfth Night on Candlemas
- March 20 – The Dutch East India Company is established as The United East India Company by the Dutch States-General
- May 15 – Bartolomew Gosnold becomes the first European to discover Cape Cod.
- June – James Lancaster's East India Company fleet arrives at Achin (now Aceh), Sumatra to deal with the local ruler. Having defeated Portugal's ally, the ruler is happy to do business, and Lancaster seizes a large Portuguese Galleon and loots it.
- November 8 – The Bodleian Library at the University of Oxford is opened to the public.
- December 11 – A surprise attack by forces under the command of the Duke of Savoy and his brother-in-law, Philip III of Spain, is repelled by the citizens of Geneva. (This actually took place after midnight, in the early morning of December 12, but commemorations/celebrations on Fête de l'Escalade are usually held on December 11 or the closest weekend.)
- Ben Jonson writes Poetaster
- William Shakespeare writes The Merry Wives of Windsor
- Persia and Spain conclude a defensive alliance and declare war on the Ottoman Empire
- In Praque, Florian Mathias performs the first successful bowel surgery – removes a dagger from stomach
- Jesuit missionary Jeronimo de Angeluin arrives in Japan
- A private trading company is established in Copenhagen, with the monopoly on the trade with Iceland.