kidzsearch.com > wiki
1986 State of the Union Address
The 1986 State of the Union address was given by President Ronald Reagan to a joint session of the 99th United States Congress on February 4, 1986. The speech was the second State of the Union address of President Reagan's second term.
Reagan was the only president to have postponed his State of the Union Address. On January 28, 1986, he planned to give his address, but after learning of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, he postponed it for a week and addressed the nation on the day's events. This was the only time that the State of the Union address had to be postponed because of an event.
- "Address to the nation on the Challenger disaster". Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1986/12886b.htm.
- Weinraub, Bernard (January 29, 1986). The Shuttle Explosion: Reagan Postpones State of the Union Speech. p. A9.
- "Length of State of the Union Addresses in Minutes". Presidency.ucsb.edu. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou_minutes.php.
- "Length of State of the Union Addresses". Presidency.ucsb.edu. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou_words.php#axzz1uwEqkUwK.
- "List of Opposition Responses to State of the Union Addresses". Presidency.ucsb.edu. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/sou_response.php.
- (full transcript), The American Presidency Project, UC Santa Barbara.
- (full video), Miller Center of Public Affairs, University of Virginia. Archived 2014-02-13 at the Wayback Machine