kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Ajaccio (Latin: Ajax; French: Ajaccio; Corsican: Aiacciu), pronounced "ah-YAH-cho", is a town in France. It is the capital of the territorial collectivity of Corsica and the prefecture of the department of Corse-du-Sud.
Ajaccio is on the west coast of the island of Corsica in a sheltered position at the foot of wooded hills on the northern shore of the Gulf of Ajaccio. The harbour is to the east of the town and is protected on the south by a peninsula.
Ajaccio was the birthplace of:
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769–1821), Emperor of the French
- Joseph Fesch (1763-1839), cardinal
- Tino Rossi (1907-1983), singer, actor
- Fred Scamaroni (1914-1943), WW II Resistance hero
- Alizée (born 1984), pop singer
- Irène Bordoni (1895-1953), singer, Broadway theatre & movie actress
- Who Was Who in America, Historical Volume, 1607-1896. Marquis Who's Who. 1967.
Sources and References
This article includes text from the public domain 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica. Please add to the article as needed.