kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Statue at the Uffizi, Florence
March 9, 1454|
Florence, Republic of Florence
February 22, 1512 (aged 57)|
Seville, Crown of Castile
Américo Vespucio [es]|
Americus Vespucius [la]
|Known for||Demonstrating that the New World was not Asia but a previously-unknown fourth continent.[a]|
Amerigo Vespucci (9 March 1454 - 22 February 1512) was an Italian merchant, explorer and cartographer. He was the first person to explain that the New World discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492 was not the eastern area of Asia, but an unknown continent (America).
He died of malaria.
- Canaday, James A. The Life of Amerigo Vespucci.
- Account of 'The First Voyage', 1497: Letter of Amerigo Vespucci To Pier Soderini - Fordham University (U.S.) Internet Modern History Sourcebook
- A scale model - A scaled wooden model of the Amerigo Vespucci.
- Amerigo Vespucci by Frederick A. Ober at Project Gutenberg
- 'I am America.' - New York Times: Five hundred years ago, our continent was given a name.
- Arciniegas, Germán. Amerigo and the New World: The Life & Times of Amerigo Vespucci. Translated by Harriet de Onís. New York: Octagon Books, 1978.