kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
An archive is a collection of records. The term is also used for the location in which these records are kept. Archives are made up of records which have been created during the course of an individual or organization's life. In general, an archive consists of records which have been selected for permanent or long-term preservation. Records, which may be in any media, are normally unpublished, unlike books and other publications. Archives may also be generated by large organisations such as corporations and governments. Archives are different from libraries in that archives hold records which are unique. Archives can be described as holding information "by-products" of activities, while libraries hold specifically authored information "products". The word 'archives' is the correct terminology, whereas 'archive' as a noun or a verb is related to computer science.
- "Glossary of Library and Internet Terms". University of South Dakota Library. http://www.usd.edu/library/instruction/glossary.shtml. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- "A Glossary of Archival and Records Terminology". Society of American Archivists. http://www.archivists.org/glossary/term_details.asp?DefinitionKey=156. Retrieved 2007-04-06.
- "definition of archive". Wiktionary. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/archive. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- UNESCO Archives Portal - over 8000 links worldwide
- International Council on Archives
- Archives Hub — gateway to descriptions of archives held in UK universities and colleges, part of the National Archives Network
- InterPares Project — international project on electronic records
- Access to Archives (A2A) — the English strand of the UK archives network
- Online-Guide to Archives around the globe