kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Sir Arnold Wolfendale|
|Born||June 25, 1927|
Rugby, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom
|Died||December 21, 2020 (aged 93)|
Durham, County Durham, England
|Institutions||University of Manchester|
University of Ceylon
University of Hong Kong
|Alma mater||University of Manchester|
|Doctoral students||George Efstathiou|
|Known for||Astronomer Royal|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society (1977)|
Marian Smoluchowski Medal (1992)
Knight Bachelor (1995)
Sir Arnold Whittaker Wolfendale FRS (25 June 1927 – 21 December, 2020) was a British astronomer. He was Astronomer Royal from 1991 to 1995. He was Emeritus Professor in the Department of Physics at Durham University and was president of the European Physical Society (1999–2001). He was President of the Royal Astronomical Society from 1981 to 1983.
- "WOLFENDALE, Sir Arnold (Whittaker)". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press. http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whoswho/U40459/. (subscription needed)
- GRO Register of Births: SEP 1927 6d 1198a RUGBY – Arnold W. Wolfendale, mmn = Hoyle
- The Times, 30 December, 2020, p49 (Subscription required)
- 100 Years of Comic Rays: A Royal Society Lecture by Sir Arnold Wolfendale at YouTube
- "Library and Archive Catalogue Wolfendale". London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. https://archive.today/20131219104739/http://royalsociety.org/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqSearch=(RefNo=='EC/1977/39').
- "Prof Sir AW Wolfendale - Durham University". Durham University. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131220040811/https://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/staff/profiles/?id=1822.
- Sloan, T.; Wolfendale, A. W. (2008). "Testing the proposed causal link between cosmic rays and cloud cover". Environmental Research Letters 3 (2): 024001. .
- Wibig, T.; Wolfendale, A. W. (2005). "At what particle energy do extragalactic cosmic rays start to predominate?". Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics 31 (3): 255. .
- Bhat, C. L.; Issa, M. R.; Houston, B. P.; Mayer, C. J.; Wolfendale, A. W. (1985). "Cosmic γ rays and the mass of gas in the Galaxy". Nature 314 (6011): 511. .
- Arnold Wolfendale publications in Google Scholar
- Prof Sir Arnold Wolfendale, Debretts Biography Archived 2 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine