kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
An aunt is relationship that describes a woman who is a sibling of a parent or is married to a sibling of a parent. Aunts are sometimes called Auntie or Aunty. A man is a nephew to their Aunt and a woman is a niece. An aunt is part of an extended family. The child of an aunt's is a cousin. Often the word aunt is used with people who are not related to show closeness or respect.
A maternal or paternal relative is one who is related through one's mother or father, respectively. For example, a maternal aunt is the subject's mother's sister. An in-law is a relationship that is not by blood, but instead by marriage. The in-law shares the in-law relationships of the spouse's relatives. For example a aunt in-law could be the wife of the subject's uncle.
- Aunt: the sister of someone's parent. The child of subject's an Aunt or Uncle's is the subject's cousin.
- Half-aunt: the parent's half-sister.
- Double half-aunt: a person who is a half sibling of both of the subjects parents.
- Grandaunt / great-aunt: the grandparent's sister.
- Great-grandaunt / Great-great-uncle: the great-grandparent's full brother.
- Aunt-in-law: the uncle's wife or the spouse's aunt.
- Co-aunt-in-law: the spouse's uncle's wife.
- Constance Brittain Bouchard, Those of My Blood: Creating Noble Families in Medieval Francia (Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 2001), p. 5.