kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Boxing Helena is a 1993 American romantic drama movie. It is about a lonely surgeon from Atlanta who gets obsessed with an accident victim named Helena. Sherilyn Fenn plays Helena. This movie was originally marked NC-17 (no children 17 and under admitted). It was later re-rated R on appeal. The movie performed very badly at the box office. The reviews were very negative. This movie was released in September 1993.
There was controversy with the casting of this movie. Madonna and Kim Basinger were each cast as Helena, but backed out. Basinger was taken to court for leaving the role. She lost, and was ordered to pay 8.1 million dollars. The verdict was later set aside on appeal in 1994, but the actress later settled for $3.8 million.
- Jane Birnbaum (May 22, 1992). "Unarmed And Dangerous: Jennifer Lynch loses Madonna, Basinger, gains Fenn for Boxing Helena". Entertainment Weekly. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,310562,00.html. Retrieved November 1, 2010.
- Welkos, Robert W. (March 9, 1993). "Basinger Tells Court Why She Refused Script". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-03-09/local/me-896_1_kim-basinger. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- "Basinger Bankruptcy Puts Georgia Bank On The Block". Chicago Tribune. September 20, 1994. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-09-20/business/9409200104_1_main-line-pictures-boxing-helena-state-bank. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- Brennan, Judy; Boyer, Edward J. (September 23, 1994). "Damages Against Kim Basinger in Film Suit Voided : Courts: Appellate justices find the judge gave ambiguous instructions to jury in 'Boxing Helena' case. Verdict of $8.1 million threw film star into bankruptcy". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1994-09-23/local/me-42074_1_boxing-helena. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- Fox, David J. (March 1, 1993). "Kim Basinger Court Case Shines Light on Deal-Making : Trial: The 'Boxing Helena' lawsuit is the second recent high-profile dispute involving a star's defection from a project. 'The way the industry does business is what is on trial here.'". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-03-01/entertainment/ca-150_1_boxing-helena-lawsuit. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- Welkos, Robert W. (March 26, 1993). "Jury Refuses to Add Punitive Damages for Kim Basinger". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-03-26/local/me-15409_1_punitive-damages. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- "Basinger Testifies She Never Approved Of Script". Orlando Sentinel. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1993-03-09/news/9303090106_1_actress-kim-basinger-boxing-helena-sherilyn-fenn. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- "Basinger Denies Contract". Orlando Sentinel. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1991-06-30/news/9106300315_1_boxing-helena-lynch-basinger. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- For Kim Basinger, the "fire ball" is out – and Veronica Lake is in