kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Charles K. Kao
Sir Charles Kuen Kao
GBM KBE FRS FREng
|Born||4 November 1933|
|Died||23 September 2018 (aged 84)|
Sha Tin, Hong Kong
United Kingdom (1952–1970)
|Institutions||The Chinese University of Hong Kong|
Standard Telephones and Cables
|Alma mater||University College London (PhD 1965, issued by University of London) |
Woolwich Polytechnic (BSc 1957, issued by University of London)
|Doctoral advisor||Harold Barlow|
|Known for||Fiber optics |
He helped discover the development and use of fiber optics in telecommunications. Kao was awarded the 2009 Nobel Prize in Physics for "groundbreaking achievements concerning the transmission of light in fibers for optical communication". Kao holds dual citizenship of the United Kingdom and the United States. Kao is known as the "Godfather of Broadband".
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2009 – Press Release. Nobel Foundation. October 6, 2009. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2009/press.html. Retrieved October 8, 2009.
- Headline Daily (October 7, 2009). 高錕獲諾貝爾獎 國人驕傲. Headline Daily. http://why.eastday.com/q/20091008/u1a639015.html. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "306 people to receive honours". The Government of Hong Kong SAR. July 1, 2010. http://news.gov.hk/en/category/administration/html/f0599757-fe18-4908-a5e2-8537d84aafba.htm. Retrieved July 1, 2010. [dead link]
- "2010 Queen's Birthday Honours List" (in (in English)) (pdf). The London Gazette. SATURDAY June 12, 2010 SUPPLEMENT No.1 B23. http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/59446/supplements/23. Retrieved June 12, 2010.
- List of Fellows of the Royal Society 1660 – 2007
- "The Fellowship – List of Fellows". Raeng.org.uk. http://www.raeng.org.uk/about/fellowship/fellowslist.htm?Search=Yes&Alpha=All&Page=37&Size=20. Retrieved October 26, 2009.
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2009. Nobel Foundation. October 6, 2009. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2009/index.html. Retrieved October 6, 2009.
- Kelsey Mesher (October 15, 2009). "The legacy of Charles Kao". Mountain View Voice. http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=2055. Retrieved November 30, 2009.
- Ifeng.com: 港媒年初传高锟患老年痴呆症 妻称老人家记性差
- Chiu, Peace; Singh, Abhijit; Lam, Jeffie (23 September 2018). Hong Kong mourns passing of Nobel Prize winner and father of fiber optics, Charles Kao, 84. Hong Kong. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education/article/2165405/nobel-prize-winner-and-hong-kong-native-charles-kao-dies-84. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- K. C. Kao, T. W. Davies (1968), "Spectrophotometric Studies of Ultra Low Loss Optical Glasses – I: Single Beam Method", Journal of Scientific Instruments (Journal of Physics E) 2 (1): 1063–1068.
- K. C. Kao (June 1986), "1012 bit/s Optoelectronics Technology", IEE Proceedings 133, Pt.J, No 3, 230–236.
- K. C. Kao, A Time And A Tide (Autobiography of Charles K. Kao)
- K. C. Kao (July 2005)《潮平岸闊——高錕自述》(translated by 許迪鏘) Joint Publishing (Autobiography of Charles K. Kao)
- 2009 Nobel Prize in Physics information
- BBC: Lighting the way to a revolution
- IEEE Oral-History: Charles Kao
- Mountain View Voice: The legacy of Charles Kao
- Man who lit up the world – Professor Charles Kao CBE FREng Ingenia, Issue 43, June 2010