kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Clyde William Tombaugh|
Tombaugh at his family's farm with his homemade telescope
February 4, 1906|
in a ranch near Streator, Illinois, U.S.
January 17, 1997 (aged 90)|
Las Cruces, New Mexico, U.S.
|Known for||Discovery of Pluto|
Tombaugh was born in Streator, Illinois. After his family moved to Burdett, Kansas, Tombaugh planned to attend college. After a hailstorm ruined his family's farm crops, he no longer had money for the expense of college.
- Tombaugh, Clyde; Patrick Moore (1980). Out of the Darkness: The Planet Pluto. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Stackpole Books. pp. 17. "I was born on a farm near Streator, Illinois, on 4 February 1906." .
- "A Man of Universal Wonder". http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/pagegen/index.html. American Academy of Achievement. 2006-09-09. http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/tom0bio-1. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- Falk, Dan, "More than a one-hit wonder", Astronomy, February 2006, 40–45.
- David H. Levy Clyde Tombaugh: Discoverer of the Planet Pluto (Tucson, Ariz.: University of Arizona Press, 1991). ISBN 0-8165-1148-9; also Sky Publishing Corporation, March 2006
- Many biographical articles on Clyde Tombaugh
- Quote from Tombaugh on UFOs
- UFO activities of Tombaugh
- Academic paper on Tombaugh's UFO activities and near-earth satellite search
- Illinois proposes a Pluto Day and reinstate Pluto as a Planet in honor of C. Tombaugh: Illinois General Assembly, Senate Resolution SR0046 2/26/2009