kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
A competition or contest is an event where people get together to see who is the best at something. Someone who takes part in a competition ("enters for a competition") is called a competitor. The competitors compete against one another. The person who wins may get a prize. The prize might be a trophy or money.referee. The referee will make sure that the game is played fairly and that the competitors obey the rules. In events like music competitions there will often be an adjudicator who will decide which person they think is the best.
- In nature, animals compete with one another for the best food, the best nesting places, etc. According to Charles Darwin, the competition in nature results in evolution.
- In business, firms that make the same things or offer the same services are in competition with one another (see market forms).
The adjective of 'competition' is competitive.
- If persons are "competitive" it means that they like trying to compete with other people.
- Businesses often say that they sell things at "competitive prices". This means that their prices are lower than those of other businesses which sell similar things.
Examples of competitions
There are a lot of different kinds of competitions, for example:
- Eating competitions, where people try to eat the most food
- Running competitions, where people see who is the first to run from one place to another
- Sport competitions, where sports teams try to beat each other to win a trophy
- Singing competitions, where someone decides which person sang the best
or see the gallery of images below: