kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|This article uses bare URLs for citations. (May 2014)|
|Born||11 June 1991|
|Notable works||Danecdotes, Drama Llama, I Will Go Down with This Ship, How to Speak Internet, The Super Amazing Project, Reasons Why Dan's A Fail|
|Home town||Wokingham, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Signature phrase||"Hello internet!"|
Daniel James "Dan" Howell (born 11 June 1991) is a unicorn killer, English vlogger and radio presenter. He is best known for his YouTube channel danisnotonfire. His YouTube channel reached 3 million subscribers on 29 December 2013. Howell presents Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1 with his friend, Phil Lester.
Howell was born and grew up in Wokingham, Berkshire where he chose to study Law. He has one younger brother. Before starting his YouTube channel, he worked in the shops Focus DIY (where he sold an axe to a 12 year old) and Asda. He went to school at The Forest School. Once he finished school, Howell went to the University of Manchester. He left university early to spend more time making videos for YouTube. He lives in London with his best friend Phil Lester.
Howell started making YouTube videos because he had been watching other videos for a long time. He was also encouraged by some friends to upload videos. Phil Lester was one of the friends who encouraged him.
He is part of the Fantastic Foursome. This is a group of British YouTubers, who are:
- Dan Howell (Danisnotonfire)
- Phil Lester (AmazingPhil)
- Chris Kendall (crabstickz)
- PJ Liguori (KickthePj)
In 2010 and 2011, Howell took part in "Stickaid". This is a live broadcast which happens every year. It is 24 hours long and encourages viewers to donate to the charity UNICEF.
In 2012, Howell won "SuperNote". This is a competition on YouTube run by Rhett and Link. Howell was also in the video series Becoming YouTube created by Benjamin Cook. Becoming YouTube is about becoming an internet celebrity. Howell also writes a blog for The Huffington Post. In this, he writes about making his YouTube videos.
Howell and Lester make a YouTube series together called The Super Amazing Project. The series is made for My Damn Channel. In this series, they explore paranormal events. In May 2014, The Super Amazing Project had over 530,000 subscribers. In December 2012, the YouTube show finished its third series of 12 episodes. Episodes of The Super Amazing Project are not made every week anymore. 'Seasonal specials' are still made. The 'Internet News' part of their radio show uses some ideas from these videos.
BBC Radio 1
In January 2013, Howell and Lester became the presenters of BBC Radio 1's Sunday evening entertainment show. They had worked with BBC Radio 1 before. Their work included producing videos for the station's YouTube channel and two Christmas broadcasts. Dan and Phil is an interactive two-hour show, which includes:
- Music videos made by listeners
- Challenges performed on live by the presenters
- Song requests
Awards and nominations
In 2013, Howell and Lester were voted the UK’s favourite radio presenters and won the Sony Golden Headphones Award, presented by the Sony Radio Academy Awards. The won this for their radio show, Dan and Phil.
In 2013, Howell came second in Sugarscape's Hottest Lads of 2013, a competition he had won a year before. He came second to his friend, Phil Lester.
- Howell, Daniel. "Draw My Life - Dan Howell". YouTube. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypDWE-3kdgA. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/alex-perry/dan-howell-interview_b_2169948.html The Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 May 2014
- KickThePj (2012-12-20). "Foursome Twister". Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii7osvfI48w. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Howell, Daniel. "LLAMARMY ULTIMATE GALACTIC VICTORY". YouTube. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3Q7YX6Zu0. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Cook, Benjamin. "Anatomy of a YouTuber BECOMING YOUTUBE Video #1". YouTube. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6p1JBYWFt0. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Daniel Howell's Huffington Post blog.". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 2012-12-12. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dan-howell/. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- door The Super Amazing Project (2011-09-26). "The Super Amazing Project". YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/superamazingproject. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "YouTube Stats". danisonfire. Youtube.com. https://www.youtube.com/user/danisnotonfire. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Lazarus, Susanna (2012-11-09). "The Radio Times.". Radiotimes.com. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-11-09/vernon-kay-and-reggie-yates-to-leave-radio-1. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Ben Cooper, Controller, BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra (1970-01-01). "BBC news article.". Bbc.co.uk. http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/r1-weekend-schedule.html. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Sugarscape internet magazine article.". Sugarscape.com. 2011-09-15. http://www.sugarscape.com/main-topics/lads/801965/sugarscapes-hottest-lads-2012-revealed?page=0%2C25. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Sugerscape article". Sugarscape.com. 2011-09-15. http://www.sugarscape.com/main-topics/film-and-tv/867894/dan-and-phil-arrive-sony-radio-academy-awards-all-suited-pics. Retrieved 26 May 2014.