kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Derek Parfit at Harvard University, April 2015
|Full name||Derek Parfit|
|Born||11 December 1942|
|Died||1 January 2017 (aged 74)|
|Main interests||Ethics, personal identity, rationalism, consequentialism, philosophy of mind|
Parfit was born in Chengdu, China. His parents, Jessie and Norman Parfit, were British medical doctors who moved to Western China. After a year in China, Parfit moved to Oxford, England where he was raised. He studied at the University of Oxford.
Parfit worked at Oxford University for all of his academic career. He was an Emeritus Senior Research Fellow at All Souls College, Oxford. He was also a visiting professor of philosophy at New York University, Harvard University, and Rutgers University. He was awarded the 2014 Rolf Schock Prize "for his groundbreaking contributions concerning personal identity, regard for future generations, and analysis of the structure of moral theories."
Parfit was an experienced photographer and a poet. He was married to the philosopher Janet Radcliffe Richards.
Parfit died in London, England on 1 January 2017, aged 74.
- "Derek Parfit (1942-2017)". 2 January 2017. http://dailynous.com/2017/01/02/derek-parfit-1942-2017/. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Rolf Schock Prizes". http://www.kva.se/en/Prizes/Rolf-Shock-prizes/. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Profile, All Souls College, Oxford
- Derek Parfit: a bibliography. A complete bibliography of writings.
- Parfit's Climbing the Mountain reading group on PEA Soup
- A Small Amount of Biographical Information