kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Scruggs in 2005
|Birth name||Earl Eugene Scruggs|
January 6, 1924|
Flint Hill, North Carolina, U.S.
|Origin||Shelby, North Carolina, U.S.|
March 28, 2012 (aged 88)|
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
|Genres||Bluegrass, country, gospel|
|Instruments||5-string banjo, guitar|
|Labels||MCA Nashville Records|
|Associated acts||Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys, Flatt and Scruggs, Earl Scruggs Revue|
Earl Eugene Scruggs (January 6, 1924 – March 28, 2012) was an American musician who is known for playing a banjo in bluegrass. Palying the banjo in bluegrass is now known as "Scruggs Style". He is known for his songs such as Dueling Banjos, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Earl's Breakdown, The Swimming Song, and in Fireball Mail. He won four Grammy Awards.
Scruggs was born on January 6, 1924 in Flint Hill, North Carolina. He was raised in Shelby, North Carolina. Scruggs was married to Louise Certain from 1948 until her death in 2006. They had two sons. Scruggs died on March 28, 2012 in Nashville, Tennessee from natural causes, aged 88.
- Earl Scruggs dies at 88
- Associated Press. "Son: Bluegrass legend, banjo pioneer Earl Scruggs dies in Nashville at age 88; changed music". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/son-bluegrass-legend-banjo-pioneer-earl-scruggs-dies-in-nashville-at-age-88-changed-music/2012/03/28/gIQAwf3RhS_story.html. Retrieved March 28, 2012.[dead link]
- "Earl Scruggs Biography". Earlscruggs.com. http://earlscruggs.com/biography.html. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Music Industry Pioneer Louise Scruggs Dies". CMT.com. 2006-02-02. http://www.cmt.com/news/articles/1523089/20060202/scruggs_earl.jhtml?headlines=true. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- "Bluegrass, banjo legend Earl Scruggs dies at 88". The Birmingham News. Associated Press. March 28, 2012. http://blog.al.com/wire/2012/03/bluegrass_banjo_legend_earl_sc.html. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- Wilson, David (March 28, 2012). "Earl Scruggs, Banjoist Who Invented 'Scruggs Style,' Dies at 88". Bloomberg Businessweek. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-28/earl-scruggs-banjoist-who-invented-scruggs-style-dies-at-88. Retrieved March 29, 2012.