kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Nickname(s): Music City|
|Davidson County and the state of Tennessee|
|• Mayor||Karl Dean (D)|
|• City||526.1 sq mi (1,362.5 km2)|
|• Land||502.2 sq mi (1,300.8 km2)|
|• Water||23.9 sq mi (61.8 km2)|
|Elevation||597 ft (182 m)|
|• Density||1,154.5/sq mi (445.8/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Nashville is the capital city of the U.S. state of Tennessee. It is on the Cumberland River in Davidson County. Nashville is the home of the Grand Ole Opry, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and many major record labels.
Government and politics
The City of Nashville and Davidson County joined in 1963 as a way for Nashville to fight the problems of urban sprawl. The joint metropolitan government offers services such as police, firefighting, electricity, running water, and waste water disposal.
Nashville sports teams include:
- Tennessee Titans - football
- Nashville Predators - ice hockey
- Nashville Sounds - baseball
- Nashville Metros - soccer
- Music City Stars - basketball
- U.S. Census Bureau: Accepted Challenges to Vintage 2005 Population Estimates
- O'Neal, Lee Ann (January 18, 2007). "Nashville’s population greater than estimated, census officials say". The Tennessean. http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070118/NEWS05/70118011/1022.
- Consolidated refers to the population of Davidson County, Balance refers to the population of Nashville excluding other incorporated cities within the Nashville-Davidson boundary