kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|State of Louisiana|
État de Louisiane (French)
|Anthem: "Give Me Louisiana"|
"You Are My Sunshine"
"State March Song"
"Gifts of the Earth"
Map of the United States with Louisiana highlighted
|Before statehood||Territory of Orleans|
|Admitted to the Union||April 30, 1812 (18th)|
|Largest city||New Orleans|
|Largest metro||Greater New Orleans|
|• Governor||John Bel Edwards (D)|
|• Lieutenant Governor||Billy Nungesser (R)|
|• Upper house||State Senate|
|• Lower house||House of Representatives|
|U.S. senators||Bill Cassidy (R)|
John Kennedy (R)
|U.S. House delegation||5 Republicans|
1 Democrat (list)
|• Total||52,069.13 sq mi (135,382 km2)|
|• Land||43,601 sq mi (112,927 km2)|
|• Water||8,283 sq mi (21,455 km2) 15%|
|Elevation||100 ft (30 m)|
|Highest elevation||535 ft (163 m)|
|Lowest elevation||−8 ft (−2.5 m)|
|• Density||93.8/sq mi (34.6/km2)|
|• Density rank||24th|
|• Median household income||$49,973|
|• Income rank||48th|
|• Official language||No official language|
|• Spoken language||As of 2010|
|Time zone||UTC−06:00 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−05:00 (CDT)|
|ISO 3166 code||US-LA|
|Latitude||28° 56′ N to 33° 01′ N|
|Longitude||88° 49′ W to 94° 03′ W|
|The Flag of Louisiana.|
|The Seal of Louisiana.|
|Lists of United States state insignia|
Louisiana (pronounced /lōō-ē'zē-ăn'ə/) is a state in the Southern United States of America. It had a population of about 4,533,372 people in 2010. The state has a total area of about 51,885 sq mi (134,382 km2). Louisiana is the 25th largest state by population and the 31th largest state by area. Louisiana is also known by its nickname, The Pelican State. The land that would become Louisiana was bought in the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Louisiana became a state on April 30, 1812. It was the 18th state to become part of the United States. The people who live in the state are known as Louisianans. The state's capital is Baton Rouge, and its largest city is New Orleans.
Louisiana has coastal plains, marshs, and low ridges. All of the state is in the Sun Belt. Louisiana is in a sub tropical region, and has a diverse ecosystem. The climate of Louisiana Louisiana has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cfa). It has long, hot, humid summers and short, mild winters.
Louisiana was settled by France and the influence of French culture is still a big part of Louisiana today. The French Quarter in New Orleans is one of the best known attractions in the state. It is known today for its special culture, unique food, as well as the holiday Mardi Gras which is most famous in New Orleans.
Louisiana was very badly damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Much of the New Orleans area lies below sea level making flooding a serious problem.
|2||Baton Rouge||East Baton Rouge||225,374|
- Colleges and universities in Louisiana
- List of municipalities in Louisiana
- List of parishes in Louisiana
- List of rivers of Louisiana
- "New Orleans a 'ghost town' after thousands flee Gustav: mayor", AFP, August 31, 2008, archived from the original on May 16, 2013, https://web.archive.org/web/20130516094557/http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i4Io2zyj6VR8duSA6bXBGVt1H8Eg
- "Expert: N.O. population at 273,000". WWL-TV. August 7, 2007. Archived from the original on September 26, 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070926230558/http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl080707jbpopulation.104a120f.html. Retrieved August 14, 2007.
- "Relocation". Connecting U.S. Cities. May 3, 2007. Archived from the original on February 9, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140209192141/http://www.connectingbatonrouge.com/relocation.php.
- "Elevations and Distances in the United States". United States Geological Survey. 2001. Archived from the original on October 15, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20111015012701/http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/elvadist/elvadist.html. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Elevation adjusted to North American Vertical Datum of 1988.
- "Median Household Income in Louisiana". https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSLAA646N.
- "United States". Modern Language Association. http://www.mla.org/map_data. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- The Tormont Webster's Illustrated Encyclopedic Dictionary. United States of America: Tormont Publications Inc. 1990. p. 998. . https://books.google.com/books?id=fxFaAAAACAAJ&dq. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- "WordNet Search - 3.0". wordnetweb.princeton.edu. 2011 [last update]. http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=louisianian. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- "Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC". cdc.gov. 2011 [last update]. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html. Retrieved February 27, 2011.