kidzsearch.com > wiki
|State of Arizona|
Nickname(s): The Grand Canyon State,|
The Copper State
|Motto(s): Ditat Deus|
|Spoken languages||English 74.1%, Spanish 19.5%, Navajo 1.9%|
113,998 sq mi |
|- Width||310 miles (500 km)|
|- Length||400 miles (645 km)|
|- % water||0.32|
|- Latitude||31°20'N to 37°N|
|- Longitude||109°3'W to 114°50'W|
|Number of people||Ranked 16th|
56.3/sq mi (21.7/km2)|
|Height above sea level|
|- Highest point||
12,633 ft (3,851 m)
|- Average||4,100 ft (1,250 m)|
|- Lowest point||
70 ft (21 m)
|Became part of the U.S.||February 14, 1912 (48th)|
|Governor||Jan Brewer (R)|
Jeff Flake (R) |
John McCain (R)
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7|
Arizona is a state in the United States of America. It is considered part of the Southwestern United States and is bordered by New Mexico to the east, Utah to the north, Nevada to the northwest, California to the west, its northeast corner touches part of Colorado, this area is known as the Four Corners. To the south of Arizona is the country Mexico with which it shares a border of 389 miles. The state is called the "Grand Canyon State" and the "Copper State" as it is the home of the Grand Canyon and has produced large amounts of copper from its mineral deposits.
Arizona became a state on February 14, 1912 and became the 48th state accepted into the United States. The state capital is Phoenix, which also is the largest city in the state. Phoenix is the largest capital city in the US.
Arizona's climate can be very hot. In Phoenix, the average temperature is about 107 degrees Fahrenheit in summer.
Arizona is the sixth largest state in area, after New Mexico and before Nevada. Of the state's 113,998 square miles (295,000 km2), about 15% is privately owned. The remaining area is public forest and park land, state trust land and Native American reservations.
Arizona is best known for its desert landscape. It has plants such as the cactus. It is also known for its climate, which has very hot summers and mild winters. Less well known is the pine-covered high country of the Colorado Plateau in the north-central part of the state.
The Grand Canyon is a colorful, steep-sided gorge. It is made by the Colorado River in northern Arizona. The canyon is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Most of the canyon is in the Grand Canyon National Park—one of the first national parks in the United States.
Arizona is home to one of the most well-kept meteorite impact sites in the world. The Barringer Meteorite Crater (better known simply as “Meteor Crater”) is a huge hole in the middle of the high plains of the Colorado Plateau. It is about 25 miles (40 km) west of Winslow. A rim of smashed and jumbled boulders, some of them the size of small houses, rises 150 feet (46 m) above the level of the surrounding plain. The crater is nearly 1 mile (1.6 km) wide, and 570 feet (170 m) deep.
Professional sports teams in Arizona include:
|Arizona Cardinals||Football||National Football League||2 (1925, 1947)|
|Arizona Diamondbacks||Baseball||Major League Baseball||1 (2001)|
|Phoenix Coyotes||Ice hockey||National Hockey League||0|
|Phoenix Suns||Basketball||National Basketball Association||0|
|Arizona Rattlers||Arena Football||Arena Football League||3 (1994, 1997, 2012)|
|Arizona Sundogs||Ice hockey||Central Hockey League||1 (2007–08)|
|Phoenix Mercury||Basketball||Women's National Basketball Association||2 (2007, 2009)|
|Arizona Storm||Indoor Soccer||Professional Arena Soccer League||0|
|Phoenix Monsoon||Soccer||National Premier Soccer League||0|
|FC Tucson||Soccer||USL Premier Development League||0|
|Tucson Padres||Baseball||Pacific Coast League||0|
|Yuma Scorpions||Baseball||Golden Baseball League||1 (2007)|
Arizona has many golf courses and is home to several stops on the PGA Tour.
- Arizona state amphibian: Arizona Treefrog (Hyla eximia)
- Arizona state bird: Cactus Wren (Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus)
- Arizona state butterfly: Two-tailed Swallowtail (Papilio multicaudata)
- Arizona state colors: Federal Blue and old gold
- Arizona state fish: Arizona Trout (Oncorhynchus gilae apache)
- Arizona state flag: Flag of the State of Arizona
- Arizona state flower: Saguaro blossom (Carnegiea gigantea)
- Arizona state fossil: Petrified wood
- Arizona state gemstone: Turquoise
- Arizona state mammal: Ringtail (Bassariscus astutus)
- Arizona state motto: Ditat Deus (Latin God enriches)
- Arizona state neckwear: Bolo tie
- Arizona state reptile: Arizona Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi)
- Arizona state seal: Great Seal of the State of Arizona
- Arizona state slogan: Grand Canyon State
- Arizona state songs: "Arizona March Song" (by Margaret Rowe Clifford) and "Arizona" (by Rex Allen, Jr.)
- Arizona state tree: Blue Palo Verde (Parkinsonia florida)
- Arizona state gun: Colt Single Action Army revolver
- "Resident Population Data". 2010.census.gov. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-dens-text.php. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- "Hardwood Forest Foundation: Experience: Arizona". Hardwoodforest.org. http://www.hardwoodforest.org/hff.asp?ID1=Experience&ID2=Arizona. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Prescott Overview". Ncsu.edu. 2002-05-15. Archived from the original on 2010-01-17. http://www.ncsu.edu/project/wildfire/Arizona/prescott/prescott.html. Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- Kids' Page - Arizona State Songs
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Arizona|